The company was incorporated in 1885 under the name of Lauritz Christensen Auktioner. From its former headquarters situated on Søtorvet in Copenhagen, the house evolved over time to become a small, reputable traditional auction house, one of the oldest in Denmark.
In 1998 the family-owned business was bought by Bengt Sundstrøm, whose concept was to focus on the customer and move auctions from the domain of the physical auction house to the Internet. In December 1999 Lauritz Christensen was renamed Lauritz.com A/S. The first online auction began on 9 December 1999 and ended 14 days later.
With the launch of the www.lauritz.com, Lauritz.com A/S became the first auction house worldwide to provide online auctions.